Constructing Experience:
How Life Can Trigger Meaning and more questions than answers

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Art Inspiration: Part 1

INCIDENT:
Last year I wrote about the artist Phil Hansen in a post called "Inspiration." Hansen mostly does portraits that have a single or multiple stencil look although most do not actually utilize stencils. The latest piece that is featured on Hansen's website is a huge portrait (15.5 ft x 11.5 ft) of Lance Armstrong. Hansen made the painting by dripping paint onto the wheels of a classic red Radio Flyer tricycle that he rode over the canvas. This piece does utilize clear plastic stencils to get a clean look but the marks have a lot of depth and character because of the way they marks were applied.

Here is a video of the making of this piece: "Lance"


MORAL:
Phil Hansen's creative methods and materials are always inspiring for me. Throw in his consistent output of work and I'm sold. He has discipline and talent... both of which I could use a little more of right now.

I haven't produced new work for a long while and the last time that I did was for a class that I took last year on block and lino printmaking. So if it were not for the class motivating me to pursue my art, I would still be without new work. I simply have not had the motivation or discipline to follow through even though I have been constantly developing new ideas. I am not sure what is holding me back... fear perhaps? Lack of time? Lack of talent? All of the above? Whatever the reason or excuse, it is clear that I can no longer hide behind it.

An artist friend of mine recommended that I read the book "Art & Fear: Observations On the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking" by David Bayles and Ted Orland. I just started reading it and already it is giving me necessary perspective.

So my next several posts will focus on artists that inspire me, like Phil Hansen, for whatever reason -- their conviction, their artwork, their methodology, the subject of their art, etc. I hope that by surrounding myself with their work something good will rub off on me.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home