Constructing Experience:
How Life Can Trigger Meaning and more questions than answers

Thursday, July 31, 2008

This I Believed

INCIDENT:
My friend just started a new blog with a great theme -- This I Believed. Many of you are probably familiar with the international essay project called This I Believe, which is often featured on public radio. This I Believe is intended for people to share the beliefs that guide their daily lives. This I Believed however is intended to reflect our changes in belief through the years.

MORAL:
I was asked to contribute to this new blog... and I how could I refuse? There are so many beliefs that I have had throughout my short life and the fact that they change and morph is incredibly reassuring. While it can be inspiring to see people hold true to certain core beliefs despite any opposition they may face because of those beliefs (read: voter rights, civil rights, etc.), the reality is that more of our beliefs have changed... or at least I hope they have changed.

I spent many nights debating my beliefs with friends in high school (we were a cool crowd). And it was early on in high school that I realized that I don't have to believe what my parents believe or what my teachers believe or what my religion dictates. I could and should question everything. How appropriate that I have ended up pursuing science...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home