Constructing Experience:
How Life Can Trigger Meaning and more questions than answers

Monday, June 30, 2008

Proposal: An Airline Passenger License

INCIDENT:
I just got back from a quick weekend trip to San Diego for a friend's wedding. As you may know I have a pet peeve about how people store their luggage in the overhead compartment. So this time as I was waiting for people to board, I started thinking about all of the things that I don't like about flying. Before I leave for any trip I feel pretty anxious. It is not until I get to my destination do I begin to feel really excited. The combination of an incomplete to-do list at home, the hassle and frustration of airports, the long security lines, delayed flights, and the coordination of airport pick-ups and drop-offs can make anyone anxious.

MORAL:
Considering I fly rather often, I put some thought into how to resolve my anxieties about flying. So I came up with a proposal. My idea is that people need to get an airline passenger license. There are plenty of activities that require training before you can partake in them... why not flying? Seriously think about it... if something happened on the plane, would you like everyones first experience with opening the exit hatch or operating the emergency slide the moment when it was most needed? I don't think so.

So what would this airline passenger license involve? Well to start, a review of TSA guidelines would be good. Aren't you curious about how the guidelines were determined? Really what is the difference between 3.4 oz. and 3.5 oz. of liquid to homeland security? Follow that with training on the dos and don'ts of going through the airport security line. This is key in helping with speed of getting through the security line. Then we can round off the licensing procedure with first hand training in operating the exit doors, using oxygen masks, dealing with unruly passengers, putting on life vests while getting to the emergency exits, and of course, storing luggage properly in the overhead compartment.

This airline passenger license will take the Clear card to the next level. And if it is required for everyone, then flying will be a much better experience for all. Think about it... and while we are at it, I have some other ideas for things that should require licenses as well...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home