Constructing Experience:
How Life Can Trigger Meaning and more questions than answers

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Olympic Fever!

INCIDENT:
We are currently at the beginning of the Games of the XXIX Olympiad in Beijing China. So much press has been given to these games before they even started on August 08 2008. And while the human rights violations and the role of China in several humanitarian crises cannot (and should not) be ignored, the Olympics should really focus on athletic skill and the competitive spirit.

If you have ever worked towards an athletic goal such as running a marathon or competing with a local intramural soccer team, then you have just a taste of what these athletes strive towards... what they live and breath for for the four (or more) years leading up to an Olympics. It takes incredible devotion and even more sacrifice. And if you ever dedicated your time and energies towards something personally important, then you have an idea about what it means to be an Olympian.

The Olympics are not only for the athletes but is equally for every country's people. There is a sense of national pride during the Olympics. But at the same time there is a sense of camaraderie between countries and athletes. If only the spirit of the Olympics could continue past the 16 days of the XXIX Olympiad.

MORAL:
I have Olympic fever! The only thing that I watch is Olympic coverage on television. Handball, trap shooting, fencing, water polo... I watch it all. I love seeing the fans in the stands waving their flags, yelling at the top of their lungs, and supporting their teams. I love seeing countries win their first Olympic medals... ever. Or seeing when the athletes march in the opening ceremonies filled with pride.

The best part of the Olympics for me is that for 16 days every two years I believe I can live out my Olympic dream. As delusional as that thought may be, during the Olympics I can dream... and dream big!


UPDATE (08/13/08): I just read this quote from Dominque Dawes, who is serving as a commentator at the Olympics, about the US silver medal win in women's Team Gymnastics. I think it sums up my point quite nicely.

"I experienced Opening Ceremonies for the first time this year," Dawes said. "And what I took away is, the Olympics is not about one athlete or one moment. It is about the team and world and the impact these athletes make on the world. No matter how well they perform." -- from ESPN.com, "Team final result should not define Sacramone" By Alyssa Roenigk

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home