Constructing Experience:
How Life Can Trigger Meaning and more questions than answers

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Opposing Forces

INCIDENT:
My shy friend made a good point about my post on beauty. He argued that happiness doesn't have meaning without some an opposing force to compare it to. We can find beauty in this opposing force as well. I am not doing justice to my friend's comments... let's just hope they anonymously reply to this...

MORAL:
Everything needs to be in opposition to something else in order to exist. I remember this cheesy movie we had to watch in religion class when I was in elementary school. It was Jesus on trial in the modern day. And what was salient about the movie is that they asked him why there is evil... why do bad things happen to people. And his response was that without the bad then we would be mindless robots. Without choice we can't really live. And while this is a bit of a tangent it applies to my friend's point. Happiness and sadness exist together and not as separate and exclusive entities. They have to exist together. Without one or the other than we would not know what we are experiencing. We would now have anything to compare it. I completely agree that there is beauty in sadness. It is often times that sadness makes the beauty in life apparent.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home