Constructing Experience:
How Life Can Trigger Meaning and more questions than answers

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Runner's High

INCIDENT:
On Sunday I ran a 5K. The third 5K race of my life. I am not much of a runner but in the past year I have taken up running for fitness and to see what all the fuss is about. Seriously running doesn't really sound like a fun time to me, but I am a competitive person. If I make something a competition or a battle of hardcore-ness I can probably convince myself to do anything. It is an awesome motivator.

Sunday it was drizzling all morning and it was cold. I felt like I wanted to quit after 1.5 miles but I hate losing face in front of others. I pressed on. Then at about the 2 mile mark I finally had that vague feeling that people refer to as the runner's high. All this time I have been running I never experienced it, but for some reason during this race it kicked in. I felt great and I even stepped it up a notch. I had a personal best for the race.

MORAL:
I am proud of myself. Although I am not setting any course records, I really felt great after this race. I never thought I would be a runner and I certainly didn't think that I would enjoy running. But here I am looking forward to the next race and wondering what else I can accomplish that I never thought I could.
“Life's real failure is when you do not realize how close you were to success when you gave up.” - unknown

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home